how can No. of statement & No. of triples be different in sesame 2.7.7?

how can No. of statement & No. of triples be different in sesame 2.7.7?

Peyman Toreini
Dear All

I am almost new in OpenRDF and Sparql and I am using sesame server 2.7.7. I faced to some problems which you may can help me.

I am working with some repositories that someone else created them and stored RDF on them. I am trying to find number of triples on this repositories. As far as I know the Number of statements on Repository size information shows the number triples but we can Also do it with Sparql query.

the problem is , for some of these repositories,the Number of Statements on repositories size information is different from the sparql query result which count triples and for most of them these two numbers are the same.

Is there any difference between concept of statement & triples? If no, how can this happen?

Best Regards,
Peyman Toreini
www.ptoreini.com

Re: how can No. of statement & No. of triples be different in sesame 2.7.7?

Armando Stellato
Just wondering...are there reified statements and are these being considered
in the count?

Jeen Broekstra
On 2/12/13 5:12, Peyman Toreini wrote:

> Dear All
>
> I am almost new in OpenRDF and Sparql and I am using sesame server
> 2.7.7. I faced to some problems which you may can help me.
>
> I am working with some repositories that someone else created them
> and stored RDF on them. I am trying to find number of triples on this
> repositories. As far as I know the Number of statements on Repository
> size information shows the number triples but we can Also do it with
> Sparql query.
>
> the problem is , for some of these repositories,the Number of
> Statements on repositories size information is different from the
> sparql query result which count triples and for most of them these
> two numbers are the same.
>
> Is there any difference between concept of statement & triples? If
> no, how can this happen?

There are a number of possibilities why these number may be different.

First of all, the repository size information gives you the number of
explicit statements in the repository. If your repository has
inferencing enabled, a SPARQL query (which normally includes inferred
statements when used on an inferencing repository) will count more
statments, because it will also count the inferred ones.

A second possibility is that your store contains named graphs/contexts.
The repository size information counts each statement in each context.
So if the same statement occurs in two contexts in the same repository,
the size info will report this as two statements. It's possible that you
did not take this into account when doing a SPARQL query.

Regards,

Jeen

On 2/12/13 6:13, Armando Stellato wrote:

> Just wondering...are there reified statements and are these being considered
> in the count?

At the end of the day, the implementation of the repository size count
is store-specific, so there is no definitive answer to this: the number
of triples in the store is whatever the store reports it is, and if a
store chooses to treat reified statements differently and not count them
as actual statements, that's up to them.

However, the default Sesame stores (memory, native) do not do anything
special for reified statements, and count them as any other RDF statements.

Jeen