error retrieving a custom rio writer

Sergio Fernández
Hi,

I've having a very weird behaviour using a custom Rio Writer (for HTML).
The first time the code is running, I'm getting this exception:

org.openrdf.rio.UnsupportedRDFormatException: No writer factory
available for RDF format RDFa (mimeTypes=application/xhtml+xml,
application/html, text/html; ext=xhtml, html)
at org.openrdf.rio.Rio.createWriter(Rio.java:236)
~[sesame-rio-api-2.7.7.jar:na]

Following calls to the same method correctly create the proper writer.

Do you have any idea what am I doing wrong?

The new Rio Writer is registered through the ServiceLoader.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

--
Sergio Fernández
Senior Researcher

Re: error retrieving a custom rio writer

Peter Ansell-2
Are you using Rio.createWriter(Rio.getWriterFormatForMIMEType("application/html")?
We may have a race condition somewhere inside of the code that assumes
a given MIME type will never be assigned to two different formats, as
it is for RDFFormat.RDFA and the Marmotta HTML format, but for some
reason it works the second time around. Have you tried (or do you
already) have an RDFA writer, such as Semargl, in your classpath?

Cheers,

Peter

On 16/10/13 23:23, Peter Ansell wrote:
> Are you using Rio.createWriter(Rio.getWriterFormatForMIMEType("application/html")?

The line that raises such exception is exactly:

     RDFWriter writer = Rio.createWriter(format), out);

Is there is any better way to request the writer?

> We may have a race condition somewhere inside of the code that assumes
> a given MIME type will never be assigned to two different formats, as
> it is for RDFFormat.RDFA and the Marmotta HTML format, but for some
> reason it works the second time around.

If it'd never work, ok, I could assume something. But working always
second and next calls... I need to investigate if if could be related
with CDI or whatever other subsystem.

> Have you tried (or do you
> already) have an RDFA writer, such as Semargl, in your classpath?

That was of my first guess, but excluding semargl dependencies does not
solve the issues.

Thanks, Peter.

Cheers,

--
Sergio Fernández
Senior Researcher
Knowledge and Media Technologies
T: +43 662 2288 318 | M: +43 660 2747 925
[hidden email]
http://www.salzburgresearch.at

Re: error retrieving a custom rio writer

Sergio Fernández
OK, I can confirm the problem is not the Rio.createWriter() method, but
for creating the RDFFormat instance I'm using:

   RDFFormat format = RDFFormat.forMIMEType(mimeType);

My custom RDFForma has name "HTML", but the first call is set to one
with name "RDFa".

Attached the dependency tree related with Sesame. As you can see,
semargl has been excluded, but maybe jsonld-java includes a Rio Writer...

So, is there any way to have more fine grained control about the writer
available at Rio?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

deps.txt (3K) Download Attachment

Re: error retrieving a custom rio writer

Sergio Fernández
OK, got it!

This line is the source of the problem (with a FIXME by the way):

https://bitbucket.org/openrdf/sesame/src/c2c4cfa901461812e15b697994a439efbadaa9e0/core/rio/api/src/main/java/org/openrdf/rio/RDFFormat.java?at=master#cl-270

In short, RDFFormat registers many formats, even if there is not
writer/parse register for such format. Therefore, if you need a
writer/parser RDFFormat.forMIMEType() is evil, and you should switch to:

   RDFFormat format = Rio.getWriterFormatForMIMEType(mimeType);

Lesson learned. Thanks for your time, and sorry for all my musings while
debugging the issue.

Cheers,

On 17/10/13 09:07, Sergio Fernández wrote:

> OK, I can confirm the problem is not the Rio.createWriter() method, but
> for creating the RDFFormat instance I'm using:
>
>    RDFFormat format = RDFFormat.forMIMEType(mimeType);
>
> My custom RDFForma has name "HTML", but the first call is set to one
> with name "RDFa".
>
> Attached the dependency tree related with Sesame. As you can see,
> semargl has been excluded, but maybe jsonld-java includes a Rio Writer...
>
> So, is there any way to have more fine grained control about the writer
> available at Rio?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Cheers,
>

> On 17/10/13 08:45, Sergio Fernández wrote:
>>

>> On 16/10/13 23:23, Peter Ansell wrote:
>>> Are you using
>>> Rio.createWriter(Rio.getWriterFormatForMIMEType("application/html")?
>>
>> The line that raises such exception is exactly:
>>
>>       RDFWriter writer = Rio.createWriter(format, out);
>>
>> Is there is any better way to request the writer?
>>
>>> We may have a race condition somewhere inside of the code that assumes
>>> a given MIME type will never be assigned to two different formats, as
>>> it is for RDFFormat.RDFA and the Marmotta HTML format, but for some
>>> reason it works the second time around.
>>
>> If it'd never work, ok, I could assume something. But working always
>> second and next calls... I need to investigate if if could be related
>> with CDI or whatever other subsystem.
>>
>>> Have you tried (or do you
>>> already) have an RDFA writer, such as Semargl, in your classpath?
>>
>> That was of my first guess, but excluding semargl dependencies does not
>> solve the issues.
>>
>> Thanks, Peter.
>>
>> Cheers,

> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=60135031&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk

Sergio Fernández
Senior Researcher
Knowledge and Media Technologies
T: +43 662 2288 318 | M: +43 660 2747 925
[hidden email]
http://www.salzburgresearch.at

Re: error retrieving a custom rio writer

Peter Ansell-2
Change to Rio.getWriterFormatForMIMEType and it may work. The cause may be that the marmotta HTML instance of RDFFormat is not being created until after the writer registry initialises, which may be why it works the second time. In general I recommend that people not use the RDFFormat static methods as they are not linked to the service registries, where the Rio static methods are.

--
Peter

On 17/10/2013, at 6:07 PM, Sergio Fernández <[hidden email]> wrote:

> OK, I can confirm the problem is not the Rio.createWriter() method, but for creating the RDFFormat instance I'm using:
>
>  RDFFormat format = RDFFormat.forMIMEType(mimeType);
>
> My custom RDFForma has name "HTML", but the first call is set to one with name "RDFa".
>
> Attached the dependency tree related with Sesame. As you can see, semargl has been excluded, but maybe jsonld-java includes a Rio Writer...
>
> So, is there any way to have more fine grained control about the writer available at Rio?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Cheers,
>

> On 17/10/13 08:45, Sergio Fernández wrote:
>>

>> On 16/10/13 23:23, Peter Ansell wrote:
>>> Are you using Rio.createWriter(Rio.getWriterFormatForMIMEType("application/html")?
>>
>> The line that raises such exception is exactly:
>>
>>      RDFWriter writer = Rio.createWriter(format, out);
>>
>> Is there is any better way to request the writer?
>>
>>> We may have a race condition somewhere inside of the code that assumes
>>> a given MIME type will never be assigned to two different formats, as
>>> it is for RDFFormat.RDFA and the Marmotta HTML format, but for some
>>> reason it works the second time around.
>>
>> If it'd never work, ok, I could assume something. But working always
>> second and next calls... I need to investigate if if could be related
>> with CDI or whatever other subsystem.
>>
>>> Have you tried (or do you
>>> already) have an RDFA writer, such as Semargl, in your classpath?
>>
>> That was of my first guess, but excluding semargl dependencies does not
>> solve the issues.
>>
>> Thanks, Peter.
>>
>> Cheers,
>
> --
> Sergio Fernández
> Senior Researcher
> Knowledge and Media Technologies
> Salzburg Research Forschungsgesellschaft mbH
> Jakob-Haringer-Straße 5/3 | 5020 Salzburg, Austria
> T: +43 662 2288 318 | M: +43 660 2747 925
> [hidden email]
> http://www.salzburgresearch.at
> <deps.txt>

Re: error retrieving a custom rio writer

Sergio Fernández
We both arrived to the same conclusion at the same time :-)

What I still don't get is the behaviour with the second request... Does
Sesame unregister the RDFFormat when such exceptions are raised?

Thanks!

On 17/10/13 09:45, Peter Ansell wrote:

> Change to Rio.getWriterFormatForMIMEType and it may work. The cause may be that the marmotta HTML instance of RDFFormat is not being created until after the writer registry initialises, which may be why it works the second time. In general I recommend that people not use the RDFFormat static methods as they are not linked to the service registries, where the Rio static methods are.
>
> --
> Peter
>
> On 17/10/2013, at 6:07 PM, Sergio Fernández <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> OK, I can confirm the problem is not the Rio.createWriter() method, but for creating the RDFFormat instance I'm using:
>>
>>   RDFFormat format = RDFFormat.forMIMEType(mimeType);
>>
>> My custom RDFForma has name "HTML", but the first call is set to one with name "RDFa".
>>
>> Attached the dependency tree related with Sesame. As you can see, semargl has been excluded, but maybe jsonld-java includes a Rio Writer...
>>
>> So, is there any way to have more fine grained control about the writer available at Rio?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Cheers,

>>> The line that raises such exception is exactly:
>>>
>>>       RDFWriter writer = Rio.createWriter(format, out);
>>>
>>> Is there is any better way to request the writer?

>>> If it'd never work, ok, I could assume something. But working always
>>> second and next calls... I need to investigate if if could be related
>>> with CDI or whatever other subsystem.

>>> That was of my first guess, but excluding semargl dependencies does not
>>> solve the issues.
>>>
>>> Thanks, Peter.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>
>> --
>> Sergio Fernández
>> Senior Researcher
>> Knowledge and Media Technologies
>> Salzburg Research Forschungsgesellschaft mbH
>> Jakob-Haringer-Straße 5/3 | 5020 Salzburg, Austria
>> T: +43 662 2288 318 | M: +43 660 2747 925
>> [hidden email]
>> http://www.salzburgresearch.at
>> <deps.txt>

Sergio Fernández
Senior Researcher
Knowledge and Media Technologies
T: +43 662 2288 318 | M: +43 660 2747 925
[hidden email]
http://www.salzburgresearch.at

Re: error retrieving a custom rio writer

Peter Ansell-2
It is a case of the marmotta HTML constant not being created before the service registry is created. When the constant is created it self-registers I think from memory. The constant is created when it is needed as the key for the service registry internal map for the RDFWriterFactory.

The newest registered RDFFormat gets priority in the list I think and that will put it before the RDFA constant on the second run of your program.

The basic solution is to rely on the service registry if you use your own RDFFormat constants. Ie use Rio methods not RDFFormat methods.

--
Peter