change tomcat's security roles without restarting sesame? .. or: how long does it take to restart?

change tomcat's security roles without restarting sesame? .. or: how long does it take to restart?

René Verheij
Hey guys,

I'm trying to build a 'master website' that can create new websites on the fly (when people buy a product), and thus then need to add some security roles to the web.xml file of sesame (so that for example the admins of each site can only edit their own site)

I've read that you can set up Tomcat to only restart the webapp (Sesame) and not tomcat as a whole when you change web.xml , but for me that still means that all websites of other customers will temporarily need to wait till Sesame restarted when a new customer/domain is created.

I'm thinking 10 to perhaps several 100's of small sites, each will come with several sesame repositories, that in turn each have a small to medium amount of triples (probably 10.000 average, 1 million max).... and thus when one new user comes in, sesame will need to restart and reload/start up all those repositories ...

Is that restart likely to take ... less then a seccond? (acceptable).. several seconds? (hmm)... minutes? (no no!)

Ofcourse this all depends on the server setup (1 core, super fast SSD disks) ... and I may just need to test for myself ... but if anyone has any thoughts on how realistic / practical this setup would be ahead that would be very helpful.

Or perhaps any suggestions / experience for other solutions to limiting the access rights of repositories that wouldn't require a restart of sesame?

Thanks in advance,
René