Sesame performance

Gaurav Jain
Hello Sesame,

* I run a video sharing website which uses sesame for lot of its data.
* I use JETTY + sesame 2.6
* I have ~10000 triples in the NATIVE store ( not using memory cache yet )
* It has been working great so far but the load is NOT a lot. Recently launched.

Now I working towards growing my audience and one of the major fear I have about Jetty + sesame load and performance with growing audience. Fear stemmed from the failure of MongoDB once with not so heavy load on it. I use mongo DB for user accounts.

If somebody could share some PRODUCTION load/performance benchmarks, that will be helpful. I am working towards generating my own.

Also, if somebody could share at what point there system broke down which were relying on sesame2.6 + tomcat/jetty/???. Any inputs on those will be helpful.

I am probably asking a lot but I do not have lot of resources and really looking for help from this forum.

I will appreciate any help/inputs.

Sincerely
Gaurav Jain

Re: Sesame performance

Haq, Salman
Gaurav,

My impression is that Sesame is more widely used as an analytical db for smallish datasets rather than as a transactional store for powering live websites. I could be wrong about that.

Btw, Sesame 2.7 has performance improvements over 2.6.

Best,
Salman

Re: Sesame performance

Jeen Broekstra
On 11/10/13 8:32 AM, Haq, Salman wrote:

> My impression is that Sesame is more widely used as an analytical db for
> smallish datasets rather than as a transactional store for powering live
> websites. I could be wrong about that.

There's no reason Sesame can not be used as a production system for a
live website under heavy load, and there are plenty of examples of just
such a setup, using either a native store (or multiple native stores -
in one project I'm involved in, each user has his own personal database
in addition to several shared databases with different datasets, and
this all works very well), or using a third-party store such as OWLIM
(as an example, the BBC runs a lot of its RDF-based web presence off of
a Sesame + OWLIM enterprise setup).

I don't have any benchmark figures at my fingertips right now, but
Sesame's native store performance is mostly a function of its total
size. Concurrent access with multiple users should not significantly
impair performance and should scale roughly linearly with the number of
requests.

Putting seperate datasets in separate stores is a good strategy for
keeping things lean, optionally using Sesame's federation sail or SPARQL
SERVICE queries to query over multiple datasets at once, if you require
this.

Of course, if you do run into performance bottlenecks at some point,
replacing the native store with a different storage solution (e.g.
OWLIM) is trivial.

Jeen