Sesame and JSON-LD

Fabian Cretton
Hi,

I see on the web and in this forum some hints about JSON-LD and Sesame.
For instance this post which says: "Sesame does not support the JSON-LD format out of the box. You will need to install a Sesame-compatible JSON-LD writer library (such as jsonld-java) into your existing Sesame installation. "

It seems I can't find any trace of JSON-LD in the Sesame's user guides.

Is it possible to have a clear status about the current integration of JSON-LD in Sesame and also the workbench interfaces ? For instance the list of download/format on the result page of a CONSTRUCT query, or the possible result format when querying the SPARQL-endpoint. Also to which version of Sesame does this apply ?

I am currently using Sesame 2.7.7 from owlim-se-5.4.6486.

Thank you
Fabian

Re: Sesame and JSON-LD

Sergio Fernández
Hi,

there is a external library providing JSON-LD support for Sesame Rio.
You can find it at Maven central:

com.github.jsonld-java:jsonld-java-sesame:0.3

http://search.maven.org/#search%7Cgav%7C1%7Cg%3A%22com.github.jsonld-java%22%20AND%20a%3A%22jsonld-java-sesame%22

So far it works quite well.

Cheers,

On 17/04/14 11:09, Fabian Cretton wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I see on the web and in this forum some hints about JSON-LD and Sesame.
> For instance  this post
> <http://stackoverflow.com/questions/21960492/convert-remote-sparql-endpoint-json-results-into-json-ld>
> which says: "Sesame does not support the JSON-LD format out of the box. You
> will need to install a Sesame-compatible JSON-LD writer library (such as
> jsonld-java) into your existing Sesame installation. "
>
> It seems I can't find any trace of JSON-LD in the Sesame's user guides.
>
> Is it possible to have a clear status about the current integration of
> JSON-LD in Sesame and also the workbench interfaces ? For instance the list
> of download/format on the result page of a CONSTRUCT query, or the possible
> result format when querying the SPARQL-endpoint. Also to which version of
> Sesame does this apply ?
>
> I am currently using Sesame 2.7.7 from owlim-se-5.4.6486.
>
> Thank you
> Fabian

Sergio Fernández
Senior Researcher
Knowledge and Media Technologies
T: +43 662 2288 318 | M: +43 660 2747 925
[hidden email]
http://www.salzburgresearch.at

Re: Sesame and JSON-LD

Fabian Cretton
Thank you Sergio, but if I am not mistaken, this is what I talked about in my initial question, no ?

Or do you mean that including this library will also influence the work-bench interface and the SPARQL end-point (see my question) ?

Fabian

Re: Sesame and JSON-LD

Sergio Fernández
Sorry Fabian, I did not know you were talking about the workbench. I don
not use it for quite a long. But, since jsonld-java-sesame is not part
of the official distribution, I wouldn't expect to have support for it.

On 17/04/14 12:44, Fabian Cretton wrote:

> Thank you Sergio, but if I am not mistaken, this is what I talked about in my
> initial question, no ?
>
> Or do you mean that including this library will also influence the
> work-bench interface and the SPARQL end-point (see my question) ?
>
> Fabian

Sergio Fernández
Senior Researcher
Knowledge and Media Technologies
T: +43 662 2288 318 | M: +43 660 2747 925
[hidden email]
http://www.salzburgresearch.at

Re: Sesame and JSON-LD

Benno Blumenthal
I have been following this with interest.  So let me ask an intermediate question between workbench and sesame java -- is there a mime-type we can specify in the accept header when we submit a construct query to get the response back in JSON-LD, i.e. not in workbench, but in http interactions with a sesame server?  We figure specifying JSON is not good enough, since there is another json response type....

On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 8:15 AM, Sergio Fernández <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sorry Fabian, I did not know you were talking about the workbench. I don
not use it for quite a long. But, since jsonld-java-sesame is not part
of the official distribution, I wouldn't expect to have support for it.

On 17/04/14 12:44, Fabian Cretton wrote:
> Thank you Sergio, but if I am not mistaken, this is what I talked about in my
> initial question, no ?
>
> Or do you mean that including this library will also influence the
> work-bench interface and the SPARQL end-point (see my question) ?
>
> Fabian

Sergio Fernández
Senior Researcher
Knowledge and Media Technologies
T: <a href="tel:%2B43%20662%202288%20318" value="+436622288318">+43 662 2288 318 | M: <a href="tel:%2B43%20660%202747%20925" value="+436602747925">+43 660 2747 925
[hidden email]
http://www.salzburgresearch.at

Dr. M. Benno Blumenthal          [hidden email]
International Research Institute for climate and society
The Earth Institute at Columbia University
Lamont Campus, Palisades NY 10964-8000   (845) 680-4450

Re: Sesame and JSON-LD

Sergio Fernández
yes, you should use: application/ld+json

but I think is not yet fully accepted by IANA:
http://www.w3.org/TR/json-ld/#iana-considerations

On 17/04/14 14:27, Benno Blumenthal wrote:

> I have been following this with interest.  So let me ask an intermediate
> question between workbench and sesame java -- is there a mime-type we can
> specify in the accept header when we submit a construct query to get the
> response back in JSON-LD, i.e. not in workbench, but in http interactions
> with a sesame server?  We figure specifying JSON is not good enough, since
> there is another json response type....
>

> On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 8:15 AM, Sergio Fernández <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Sorry Fabian, I did not know you were talking about the workbench. I don
>> not use it for quite a long. But, since jsonld-java-sesame is not part
>> of the official distribution, I wouldn't expect to have support for it.
>>
>> On 17/04/14 12:44, Fabian Cretton wrote:
>>> Thank you Sergio, but if I am not mistaken, this is what I talked about
>> in my
>>> initial question, no ?
>>>
>>> Or do you mean that including this library will also influence the
>>> work-bench interface and the SPARQL end-point (see my question) ?
>>>
>>> Fabian
>>>

>>> --

>> --
>> Sergio Fernández
>> Senior Researcher
>> Knowledge and Media Technologies
>> Salzburg Research Forschungsgesellschaft mbH
>> Jakob-Haringer-Straße 5/3 | 5020 Salzburg, Austria
>> T: +43 662 2288 318 | M: +43 660 2747 925
>> [hidden email]
>> http://www.salzburgresearch.at

> http://p.sf.net/sfu/NeoTech

Sergio Fernández
Senior Researcher
Knowledge and Media Technologies
T: +43 662 2288 318 | M: +43 660 2747 925
[hidden email]
http://www.salzburgresearch.at

Re: Sesame and JSON-LD

Peter Ansell-2
You would need to add jsonld-java-sesame-0.4.jar (and its dependent
jar files) to your workbench to make it work there. In a similar way,
you would need to add it to the Sesame Server (openrdf-sesame.war) to
make Sesame respond with JSON-LD. As Sergio says, once you do that you
will be able to select it using application/ld+json.

We will be integrating it in the future when the jsonld-java core API
stabilises, but until then I didn't feel that it was wise to integrate
it with the workbench or the server.

You can integrate it directly with your applications to parse JSON-LD
by adding jsonld-java-sesame (and its dependent jar files) to your
classpath in the meantime.

Cheers,

Peter

On 17 April 2014 22:27, Benno Blumenthal <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have been following this with interest.  So let me ask an intermediate
> question between workbench and sesame java -- is there a mime-type we can
> specify in the accept header when we submit a construct query to get the
> response back in JSON-LD, i.e. not in workbench, but in http interactions
> with a sesame server?  We figure specifying JSON is not good enough, since
> there is another json response type....
>

> On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 8:15 AM, Sergio Fernández
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Sorry Fabian, I did not know you were talking about the workbench. I don
>> not use it for quite a long. But, since jsonld-java-sesame is not part
>> of the official distribution, I wouldn't expect to have support for it.
>>
>> On 17/04/14 12:44, Fabian Cretton wrote:
>> > Thank you Sergio, but if I am not mistaken, this is what I talked about
>> > in my
>> > initial question, no ?
>> >
>> > Or do you mean that including this library will also influence the
>> > work-bench interface and the SPARQL end-point (see my question) ?
>> >
>> > Fabian
>> >

>> > --

>> --
>> Sergio Fernández
>> Senior Researcher
>> Knowledge and Media Technologies
>> Salzburg Research Forschungsgesellschaft mbH
>> Jakob-Haringer-Straße 5/3 | 5020 Salzburg, Austria
>> T: +43 662 2288 318 | M: +43 660 2747 925
>> [hidden email]
>> http://www.salzburgresearch.at

> Dr. M. Benno Blumenthal          [hidden email]
> International Research Institute for climate and society
> The Earth Institute at Columbia University
> Lamont Campus, Palisades NY 10964-8000   (845) 680-4450

Re: Sesame and JSON-LD

Peter Ansell-2
Of course, using 0.4 would require me to release 0.4 which I will put
on my todo list to do in the next week or so. Until then you can use
0.3.

Cheers,

Peter

On 17 April 2014 19:09, Fabian Cretton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I see on the web and in this forum some hints about JSON-LD and Sesame.
> For instance  this post
> <http://stackoverflow.com/questions/21960492/convert-remote-sparql-endpoint-json-results-into-json-ld>
> which says: "Sesame does not support the JSON-LD format out of the box. You
> will need to install a Sesame-compatible JSON-LD writer library (such as
> jsonld-java) into your existing Sesame installation. "
>
> It seems I can't find any trace of JSON-LD in the Sesame's user guides.
>
> Is it possible to have a clear status about the current integration of
> JSON-LD in Sesame and also the workbench interfaces ? For instance the list
> of download/format on the result page of a CONSTRUCT query, or the possible
> result format when querying the SPARQL-endpoint. Also to which version of
> Sesame does this apply ?
>
> I am currently using Sesame 2.7.7 from owlim-se-5.4.6486.

Sesame-rio-api.jar has supported the JSONLD Mime Type
(RDFFormat.JSONLD) since 2.7.0, so you should be able to integrate it
with OWLIM-5.4 just by adding jsonld-java-sesame.jar (and its
dependent jar files) to the server and workbench classpaths in a
similar way to the OWLIM jar files.

Cheers,

Peter

Re: Sesame and JSON-LD

Fabian Cretton
Thank you very much for all  the information Peter

Re: Sesame and JSON-LD

John del Corral
Fabian, I work with Benno on our JSON-LD Sesame integration.
You are mostly correct about 'simply unzip them, add the .jar to WEB-INF\lib, zip'.

What I did (and there must be better ways with maven) was to
first stop the apache where sesame is a webapp, then
unzip the jsonld-java-sesame-0.3.jar and add it to WEB-INF\lib dir
for both openrdf-sesame and openrdf-workbench (I did NOT rezip it
in the lib dir).  Then I added the dependency jar files that I needed
to make the java API to work with JSON-LD:

commons-io-2.4.jar, jsonld-java-0.3.jar, com.fasterxml.jackson.core.jar,
com.fasterxml.jackson.databind.jar, apache-httpcomponents-httpcore.jar,
apache-httpcomponents-httpclient.jar, httpclient-4.2.3.jar, jackson-annotations-2.0.1.jar

Then I started apache again, and the JSON-LD export options appeared on workbench

John del Corral

Re: Sesame and JSON-LD

Peter Ansell-2
Hi Benno,

There are three separate issues here, which need to be implemented separately.

1. How to programmatically define contexts for
RDFWriter.getWriterConfig, both external and internal to get passed
through to JSONLD-Java.
2. How a system maintainer would define contexts to support for
OpenRDF Workbench and allow users to specify their desired contexts in
the HTML interface and possibly using the Content-Type for
programmatic selection.
2. How a user would signal to the server that compact is desired
instead of the default expanded form.

The first is the quickest to support, but will require new constants
to be added to JSONLDSettings so would require a new version of Sesame
and of JSONLD-Java, both of which could happen within a few weeks of
the change being finalised.

I still haven't decided on the best mechanism to use for specifying
the context using RDFWriter.getWriterConfig().

My best idea so far seems to be:

JSONLDSettings.JSONLD_CONTEXT_MAP : Would accept a Map to use an
internal context

JSONLDSettings.JSONLD_CONTEXT_URI : Would accept a URI to use an
external context

Any comments on that would be welcome before I open a pull request to
fix SES-2054

https://openrdf.atlassian.net/browse/SES-2054

The second would require some interface addition for OpenRDF Workbench
to specify the supported contexts, and some place to store them. It
may be appropriate to store them in the SYSTEM repository, but it may
need to be somewhere else. I have opened SES-2055 to track this.

https://openrdf.atlassian.net/browse/SES-2055

The third (mode selection) is the subject of SES-1816
https://openrdf.atlassian.net/browse/SES-1816 It requires some
decisions about where the best place to do process the headers to
signal the transformation. In code you can already do this using
RDFWriter.getWriterConfig().set(JSONLDSettings.JSONLD_MODE,
JSONLDMode.EXPAND)

One alternative that may work for you in the meantime may be to
transform the JSON-LD using the JSONLD-Java API directly on the
client. Examples of this can be found at:

https://github.com/jsonld-java/jsonld-java#code-example

Cheers,

Peter