RDF-1.1 verify datatype values change for 2.8.0

RDF-1.1 verify datatype values change for 2.8.0

Peter Ansell-2
Hi all,

RDF-1.1 requires parsing of all RDF literals without verifying the
datatype to valuespace mapping is correct by default, using RFC2119
"MUST" language.

"Implementations MUST accept ill-typed literals and produce RDF graphs
from them."

http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf11-concepts/#section-Graph-Literal

The default for BasicParserSettings.VERIFY_LANGUAGE_TAGS is still true
to comply with (strangely) a strong stand against invalid language
tags, also using RFC2119 "MUST" language for the opposite purpose.

"The language tag MUST be well-formed according to section 2.2.9 of [BCP47]."

Hence, I have opened a pull request to change the default for
BasicParserSettings.VERIFY_DATATYPE_VALUES to false in the upcoming
Sesame-2.8 releases.

Pull request is at:

https://bitbucket.org/openrdf/sesame/pull-request/267/ses-2022-change-default-to-not-verify

Any and all comments welcome. This change will be active from
2.8.0-beta2 as part of our support for RDF-1.1 in the 2.8 series.

There is also included a bug fix to support FAIL_ON_UNKNOWN_DATATYPES
(and FAIL_ON_UNKNOWN_LANGUAGES) that previously required
VERIFY_DATATYPE_VALUES (or VERIFY_LANGUAGE_TAGS) to be set to true
before it was triggered, even though that wasn't strictly necessary
and was only an artifact of the implementation.

Cheers,

Peter

Re: RDF-1.1 verify datatype values change for 2.8.0

Visser, Dale
My reading of the section of the "Concepts" document is that "xyz"^xs:integer MUST be accepted into the graph, even though it is semantic nonsense, and that a warning MAY be issued. I think in the pull request,  you are doing that through the ParseErrorListener interface, which is typically implemented by logging the message.